Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Interrupted

I used to live in a suburban city in Southern California. With the exception of an Uncle and Aunt and cousins dodging fires, after 19 years of life there, I have no reason to go back - not in any sort of permanent basis at least. The rest of my family and some friends live in the desert capitol of Arizona, and I was born there, but it's also not my home. No where and at no time will I return to the same high school friends up to the same old antics, and I'll probably never frequent the haunts of my childhood.

It seems romantic to be free with no ties, but it's also very strange.

6 comments:

Amy T Schubert said...

even with a job and friends and family, I don't feel AZ is my home....

NanAZ said...

It's interesting how we determine our home. I have lived 16 years in Ohio, 18 years in Santa Clarita and 15 years in Phoenix. Although I consider Ohio to be my birth home because it's where my formative years were spent, I doubt that I could ever move back there. We spent the longest amount of time in Santa Clarita, but I never really felt like it was home.

I think that home is where you feel safe, happy, and loved for who you really are. Right now, I don't know that I would want to leave Phoenix because of our families and dear dear lifelong friends as well as our church family that's teaching us what it really means to love...but someday that may change if you and Amy & Andrew end up somewhere else.

I realize that weather and geography aren't everything if you don't have the ones you love nearby. We can always go and visit the climates we love, but that doesn't fulfill our everyday needs for love and relationships.

NanAZ said...

You could go to the Saugus High reunions once in a while and would probably have fun with that. You're 10th will be coming up in the next few years.

Amy T Schubert said...

blog again.
boy

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, reading this reminded me of that crazy plan that we had for a "graduation trip." Something called the Nomadic Experiment, or something? We were going to camp out in front of people's houses and then shower and do laundry there and play music for them in exchange. I mean, this is one way that we could go back to SCV.

christinacervenka said...

All the cool people from Santa Clarita have moved away anyways. :)