Saturday, June 9, 2007

Let's Get Rediculous

Most of this is taken from the pastor of the biggest church by where I grew up and apparently"Dr." Dobson agrees with his crackpot ideas, that not only make up statutes he implies are in his religion, which are not (It's not that part though, that's a big deal, as with the vagueries it's possible to make the texts say pretty much anything you want and be right), but he claims to "beyond a doubt" know what the Judeo Christian god thinks about people and countries today. It's such incredible nonsense that reminds me of Herbal Essences coming out with racey new commercials to keep people interested in the product, but the sad thing is, some people's faith will be bolstered by this - including, I'm sure, many people I grew up with that know John Macarthur personally.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

These are my brothers, and I won't speak evil of them. I must say, however, I'm not sure how we are any worse (or better) than we were two and a quarter centuries ago. Was God in our theft of the natives' land? Was God in our humanistic (and deistic) cries for war (what we called "liberty")? Was God in the breaking of black backs to build an economy on slavery? Was God in the denial of a black "rights"? Was God in our denial of women's "rights"? Was God in the materialism that drove our nation? Was God in the civil war, when brother killed brother for the ideal of a nation-state? Was God in the violence of our nation when our government "helped" Latin America? Has God been in the capitalistic marginalization of the poor? Has God been in our border patrol?

Don't get me wrong. I believe God was in it all... just as much as he is still "in it" today. What that means is that God is both present in blessing and judgment. Is God judging the United States? Well, I don't know what it would mean to judge an imaginary system like the nation-state, but he probably is exacting judgment in some way or another on people (the prophets always said crazy things like that). I think I'll take my stand with the marginalized though, since that's often where Jesus stands. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they shall inherit the kingdom of heaven."

I believe there's a statistic which says that 1 in 3 teens who commits suicide is homosexual. Words can kill. Isolation and condemnation are not the Christian calling. Judgment begins in the house of God. I hope we find more edifying words to discuss sexuality, sin and God.

- Jonathan