Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Desolation of...


Alright man, here's the freakin deal.

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo. I told some friend's this and one of my friends said, "Oh yeah, death eaters, you and me buddy!" He meant something like this, I'm assuming. Sans the binary.

That's a little too geeky for me. Or let me correct. A little too obviously geeky.

So I've spent a good few hours checking out online what people have. And my god there are some really dumb tattoos. Here are my ideas, really, 2. One is to have something in Gaelic. You know, to honor my Irish heritage and give grandma Irish something to gloat about at the next book-cover-ripper's convention.

But then, there's this:
It's actually a sketch by JRR Tolkien for a possible cover or image on the cover of The Hobbit. It's Smaug.

So this means something to me. Tolkien was kind of a big part of my life growing up. Plus since I'm sort of Chinesey, I could probably pass it off as something along those lines...but...really...it's pretty freaking nerdy. I just don't know man.

I'm looking to get it on the inside of a forearm.

4 comments:

Amy T Schubert said...

I think it's a catch-22 .... Anything that means enough to you to get it tattoo'd on your body means you like it so much it makes you nerdy.

Unless you're like Andrew and get tattoos that don't have a whole lot of personal meaning. Like his skeleton. But unlike his "teegan" tattoo.

Andrew said...

For me getting tattoos is relatively simple because I like them. For me each of my tattoos reminds me of something different (or a different part of my life) and I think they reflect my personality without trying to sum up my life or an important event in my life with one tattoo. Does that make sense? I have definitely thought of getting The Dark Mark tattooed, but won't. Not because it's too obviously nerdy but for other reasons. Generally the nerdier the better is good for me though. I can understand the hesitancy of getting something permanently stamped onto your body and wanting it to be an important symbol, but to me either you want a tattoo and you know what it is or you're searching for a reason to get a tattoo. Even though people might think that a tattoo of a robot with some bacon & eggs is lame, it means something to me and it doesn't matter if no one else gets it.
this might be the longest comment I've ever left on someone's blog.
Obviously I feel pretty strongly about tattoos.
also, weak arms.

NanAZ said...

First, I don't think that Grandma Irish is going to be gloating about anyone's tattoo, but she'll love you anyway.

If you really feel like you have to get one, I like the Gaelic idea or the sketch of Smaug since they both have some significance.

Love you...but don't love tattoos. I still just don't get it. Are you sure you don't want it somewhere that's easier to cover up, if needed?

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view