Thursday, March 20, 2008

"Lower" Beings

"As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love"

-Pythagorus

I usually have to turn off articles like this, and videos like this, immediately, when I recognize what they are - and the thought of it usually sits on me for the rest of the day and several days after.

They may be fakes, it doesn't matter. I think that they're the extension on kids shooting birds with BB guns or running over squirrels with cars. At what point in our development do we learn that the suffering of something else is entertainment?

Maybe it's a relic of our carnivorous past, and since the size of our prefrontal lobe still isn't large enough in comparison to our adrenal gland. Because gladiator battles and their modern day U.S. equivalent - violent movies, are no doubt descendants on the same vein. And I'm not condemning violent movies or UFC. The difference there is that all participants are willingly subjecting themselves to such treatment. I'm also not saying that given a choice to save a dog or a baby, you should choose the dog. The capacity for suffering has to be taken into account.

It's when another being that has no capacity to give consent is subjected to suffering for our enjoyment that it becomes sick, and barbaric, and warped. And those that haven't yet, need to reprogram themselves to see it as it is - cruelty in the purest sense of the word.

5 comments:

NanAZ said...

AMEN

I think you mean..."that the suffering of something else is NOT entertainment"

I didn't go to the links, but I agree that we shouldn't be harming other living creatures.

Kevun said...

No, I wrote it how I meant it the first time. What I'm saying is we seem to, at some point, begin to think that it's entertaining to make something else suffer.

Anonymous said...

The article will bother me for the rest of my life. I didn't watch the video, I don't think I could handle it. Did people actually know the situation when they went into the gallery? It just breaks my heart and gives me a horrible stomach ache.

Anonymous said...

I told myself I wouldn't look at the links but I did anyway and now I feel sick. I can't believe that anyone actually went along with what that cruel "artist" was doing.

Anonymous said...

And this is why extremist organizations like PETA exist. Also the reason why I dislike so many people.....because some people just don't care.