Friday, July 18, 2008

Why So Serious?

Two views from the midnight show last night:



The second shirt was made for lindsey - the girl you can see in the right of the screen there, but she thought it was too douchey or something. I had no such qualms and wouldn't let something of that caliber go to waste.

My analysis: It's a long movie. Longer than I expected, and longer, I think, than whoever wrote the climax expected. I may need to see it during the day because at some point it started making me feel tired. That was probably at about the 2 am point, so I need to separate the time fatigue from that of the movie. Nevertheless, I've seen this hinted at by some critics as well, that the plot is rather convoluted. It's concerned with one thing for most of the movie, and then some other things for the epilogue, so that I think you have a difficulty feeling a sense of resolution.

Heath's performance was by far the best part of the movie, I thought. That and the writing for the joker was very clever. I found myself waiting for him to be back on screen when he wasn't. The schemes they involved him in are very clever, and his character is very interesting, and well portrayed. Oscar worthy? I'm not sure. It's hard for me to separate the hype from the performance at this point. I wanted him and the movie to succeed, both of which happened, I think, but I also think I don't go in to most movies with the movie already so far ahead.

All in all a very different movie from Batman Begins. In some ways much more real.

6 comments:

Amy T Schubert said...

oh my goodness ... I can't wait!

Andrew said...

cannot wait to see it! I'm thinking in the IMAX theatre.

NanAZ said...

Ebert and Roeper gave it excellent reviews. Said it was the best super hero movie of the year for sure. They felt that Heath deserves Oscar nomination, not just a sympathy vote.

I just think Christian Bale is such a doll...just watched him in Newsies...I love that little speech thing he's got.

Not sure I'll like the creepiness of this movie, but we'll probably see it anyway.

Miranda said...

I loved it! Heath Ledger was brilliant! I agree it was long... almost like two movies entirely. I saw it this morning and the length didn't make me tired, it was just unexpected. I thought it was over, but it wasn't. Pleasant surprise I must say, because I really couldn't get enough. It was just completely brilliant!

Nicole T said...

I got to see it before Shawn (first time ever for that). But I thought it was awesome. And I loved after trying to think of the future of batman and how this sort of prequil fits everything in. So is the tattle tale guy from Wayne enterprises going to be Robin? Since I just dont think Morgan Freeman will look good in tights. And who else liked Katie Holmes better? Thats right. I did.

NanAZ said...

You know, I tried to find a picture of you in your Batman gear with your Batman birthday cake, but so far haven't had a chance to wade thru all the boxes.

You should become a super hero someday.

:-)