Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Recourse

In my time out, I also rented 2 movies. An Inconvenient Truth, and Lady in the Water. I haven't watched Lady in the Water, but I did finish watching AIT just a bit ago. It does seem really important, and despite critics it's hard to see any sort of ulterior motive in wanting to make a film like this. The only thing I could think of would be political motives on the part of Al Gore, but that seems to not be very likely considering he pushed this platform before, during, and after he was in office. It seems like people are pushing this not to make money, I don't see how you really would, but maybe because they really think it's true. The Earth will fix itself, I don't think that's the issue - the issue is that there's no guarantee mankind will be around to see the fixing. That may be hard for a Christian to believe. Polls say 22% of Americans are convinced Jesus will return in their lifetime, and another 22% are reasonably sure. That's 44% of America that should not be influencing our future, and the decisions now that will affect our future. This is not a point of view that lends itself to developing lasting solutions in this world. I can remember, years ago, talking to my Uncle Ted about how enviromental issues aren't a big deal because, as I said, "It's all gonna burn in the end." I admit that this is not a very sophisticated point of view, nor is it the point of view I'm sure most of you have. But it is the logical conclusion of biblical fundamentalism. Especially coupled with the fact that Christians (as well as Muslims, Jews, Hindus) believe that God is in full control of what happens on earth - leads me to be frightened that it's impossible for a proclaimed atheist to get elected, and at the fact that our current president is a literalist that conducts prayer meetings and bible studies throughout the whitehouse. There's no indication that Jesus is coming, there is no indication that God is in control of anything, there is no indication there is anything acting on our lives and on this earth except for nature and us, and it's time our politics and policies began reflecting that.

6 comments:

Amy T Schubert said...

I've not seen the film, but I am annoyed Melissa Etheridge won best song for it ...
How do you feel about 2008 candidates?

Adam, Erin and Titus said...

just because Jesus is coming back doesn't mean that we dont need to think about and deal with earth and her potential issues for the future. we don't know when it will be.. it may not be our lifetime ..but He will come.

Miranda said...

that's a very generalized view of Christianity and our view of the environment... and that totally suck for me that you don't think I should have influence on the future of a world I live in... I'm sorry you feel this way.

Kevun said...

Please read just what I wrote and don't add to it. I specified the 44% represented in the polls. That group of people I do not want influencing my future, nor should you, considering a literal reading of revelation results in a very bleak situation for humanity. For those people that do think Jesus will come in the next 50 years, WW3 and global environmental breakdown would be cause for celebration - as an affirmation that the saviour is coming. That is not the outlook that should be shaping our world. If that is not your outlook, this doesn't apply to you.

Terry said...

Granted, there are people who would adhere to your "logical conclusion," but to make the claim that no one in that 44% should be influencing our future is a gross generalization on your part. God has given us the responsibility of being caretakers of His creation, and I don't think He approves when we trash a gift He has given us. I for one am very concerned about what we're doing to this planet, and am not at all happy about this Administration's attitude toward environmentalism in general. But I also believe that Jesus may very well come back in the near future. To imply that the natural results of the beliefs I hold is environmental irresponsibility is a little insulting.
I could flip the argument around and say that the "logical conclusion" of unbelief in God would be to take full advantage of life while you've got it and to live life for yourself while you're here with no regard to morality or any concern for others. Therefore, whatever percentage of Americans it is that don't believe in God should not hold any position of leadership in society. But I think you would agree that to make a claim like that would be ridiculous and more than a little insulting to unbelievers. I won't make those kinds of generalizations.

Kevun said...

If your premises about the "logical conclusion" of disbelief in God (immorality, ill-concern for other human beings) was logical, you conclusion may have merit. But those premises only work for a nihilist with a death wish.