Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Felinicide

Not to be confused with the hit TV show, Felicity, this is a word describing the deaths of at least thousands of cats EVERY DAY. I was in the animal shelter, debating whether to get a cat or to wait till I had situated my stuff (which came today and is blocking most walkways at the moment).

I started talking to one of the girls that worked there, and I think I asked about why there were no older cats, cause the oldest was only like 3-4 years old. She said it's usually the older ones that get put to sleep first. I said, Oh, so you put some to sleep recently? And she said, Yeah, we have to put some to sleep every day. It all depends on how many come in each day. For instance, today 3 came in, so tomorrow we have to put 3 to sleep. Some days 10 come in, so we have to put 10 to sleep the next day. Whaaaaaa?

So that sealed it. I was looking at this 3 year old male siamese who was really cool looking. I've never seen a real siamese in a shelter, so I got him. 20 bucks, cause he was neutered and everything, even front declawed. The people who gave him up gave him up cause he was getting jealous of the baby they were having or something. They had named him Courage though, so clearly they didn't know anything about him. His name is obviously "The Professor."

He's three. So by the time he dies, if he lives to 15, I'll be 34. Good god. I hope I don't need a walker.

6 comments:

Miranda said...

so is his name Professor Felinicide? It could be in honor of how you saved him from certain death.

Kevun said...

I think his name is gonna just be "The...Professor...Hann" but he'll go by his middle name most of the time

Courtney Meghan said...

What happened to...Wookie was it?

Kevun said...

wookie is staying with some people in so. cal cause erin's mom's allergic to cats. so either she'll go with erin if she moves into her own place, or those people will keep her, cause they like her a lot.

Amy T Schubert said...

so ... um, borrow a camera, then! we need to see the Professor ...

NanAZ said...

A friend of ours told us they knew someone who had a cat that lived to be 24...then you'll be 46!!!!